Melasma: Simple And Effective Home Remedies To Deal With It
Melasma: According to the American Academy of Dermatology, melasma affects an estimated six million people in the United States and is more common among women than men.
Melasma home remedies
- Melasma is a skin problem which primarily means hyper pigmentation
- Lemon has astringent properties that lightens the grey-brown patches
- Acetic acid in the apple cider vinegar makes it powerful bleaching agent
Melasma is a very common skin problem which primarily means hyper pigmentation. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, melasma affects about six million people in the United States and is more common among women than men. The main cause of melasma is excess melanin production in the skin cells which is due to excessive exposure to the sun. Some other factors include hormonal changes in the body, toxins, stressful lifestyle, thyroid problems and use of birth control pills. Melasma can appear on any part of your body like cheeks, nose, forehead and chin and other body parts like forearms and neck.
Also read: Top 5 Facial Masks For People With Oily Skin
You can address melasma with these effective home remedies:
1. Lemon Juice: Lemon has astringent properties that lightens the grey-brown patches on the skin. Lemon juice is acidic in nature which helps in removing the outer layer of the skin, thereby eliminating the layer of the hyper pigmented skin. You can apply lemon juice on the melasma spots and gently rub it for two to three minutes everyday. You can use this remedy twice for three weeks.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar: The acetic acid that is present in the apple cider vinegar makes it a powerful bleaching agent, which thereby helps in removing spots and makes the skin more radiant and glowing. You can mix equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water. You can then apply this solution on the affected areas on a regular basis.
lso read: 5 Health Benefits Of Apple Cider Vinegar
3. Turmeric: The medicinal properties of turmeric have been known for years. No doubt, turmeric is very effective for curing skin problems. Turmeric powder can reduce the skin's melanin and can help combat melasma. You should mix five tablespoons of turmeric powder with 10 tablespoons of milk to make a thick paste. It is better to use whole milk for this process. Apply this evenly on the affected area. After it dries up, you can wash your face with lukewarm water. This treatment can give you best results if you do it regularly.
4. Onion Juice: Another simple and an effective home remedy to restore your natural skin tone is onion juice. Onion juice has a wide range of sulfur-containing compounds like sulfoxides and cepaenes that can fade away the dark patches on the skin. Also, onion juice provides nourishment to the skin cells which in turn brightens your skin. Mix the onion juice with an equal amount of apple cider vinegar and apply on the affected areas.
Also read: Onion: The Single Most Effective Home Remedy For Hair Loss
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.