Top 5 Health Benefits of Chickpeas; How It Helps You Lose Weight
Benefits of chickpeas or garbanzo beans are they can do wonders for people who are trying to lose weight. The fiber content in them helps the body feel full for longer, by interacting with ghrelin, the hunger hormone.
Health benefits of chickpeas you were not aware of
- Chickpeas are also known as garbanzo beans
- The high fiber in chickpeas helps the body feel full for longer
- The blend of nutrients keeps the body energized and alert
Chickpeas are originally cultivated in Mediterranean and Middle East countries, and are a part of the legume family. Chickpeas are also known as garbanzo beans and have become more popular recently. The nutty taste and grainy texture of chickpeas make a superb combination and goes well with the numerous other foods and ingredients. Chickpeas may offer several health benefits as they are a rich source of vitamins, minerals and fiber. Benefits of chickpeas include improving digestion, aiding weight loss and reducing the risk of several diseases. As an added benefit, chickpeas are high in protein and make an excellent alternative for meat in vegetarian and vegan diets.
Also read: 9 Ways To Increase Protein Intake For Weight Loss
Here are some health benefits of chickpeas( garbanzo beans) you should know:
1. Diabetes: Chickpeas are particularly high in soluble fibre which helps to regulate blood sugar levels by optimizing digestion. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends a minimum of 21 to 25 grams of fibre per day for women and 30 to 38 grams per day for men.
2. Bone health: Chickpeas can be beneficial for bone health as they are a rich source of anti-oxidants and vital nutrients like iron, zinc, calcium, phosphate, magnesium and vitamin K . These nutrients contribute to building and maintaining bone mineral density and strength. Though phosphate and calcium are both important in bone structure, the careful balance of the two minerals is essential. Consuming high amounts of phosphorus with little calcium intake can lead to weak bones.
3. Blood pressure: Low sodium diet is essential for maintaining a low blood pressure. Chickpeas are low in sodium. One cup of chickpeas contains around 11 milligrams of sodium. According to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, less than 2 percent of the United States adults meet the daily 4,700-milligram recommendation.
4. Heart health: The high fiber, potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin B-6 content in chickpeas helps to balance the cholesterol levels in your body and prevents panic attacks, heart attacks and strokes. Chickpeas contain significant amounts of fiber, which helps lower the total amount of cholesterol in the blood, thereby reducing the risk of heart disease.
Also read: Healthy Heart: 7 Tips You Must Follow Every Day For A Healthy Heart
5. Cancer: The mineral selenium which is not present in most fruits and vegetables, can be found in chickpeas. It helps the enzymes of the liver to function properly and detoxify some cancer-causing compounds in the body. Additionally, selenium prevents inflammation and decreases tumor growth rates also. High-fiber intake from chickpeas and other legumes like whole grains, fruits, and vegetables can decrease the risk of colorectal cancer.
6. Weight Loss: Garbanzo beans are packed with nutrients, combined with the dietary fiber, and are perfect for people who are trying to lose weight. The fiber in chickpeas helps the body feel full for longer, by interacting with ghrelin. The blend of various nutrients and minerals also keeps the body energized and alert, preventing fatigue and snacking in between the meals. They serve as an important source of proteins and starch needed for the growth and development of the body.
Also read: Top 5 Protein Sources For Vegetarians
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.