Diet Tips For Strong Immunity: Vitamins And Minerals You Need For A Healthy Immune System
A strong immune system can help you fight against diseases and infections. Here are some essential vitamins and minerals you should be having to keep your immune system healthy.
Diet for strong immunity: A diet rich in vitamin C and D can help you boost immunity
- A string immune system protects against the infections and diseases
- A healthy diet can help you boost immunity
- Add citrus fruits rich in vitamin C for stronger immunity
Well, who does not want to have a healthy immune system? But are you aware that your diet plays an important role in keeping it in top shape to protect you from toxins and infection. The immune system is a network of specialised cells and biological responses integrated into the entire body, from digestion in your gut to your brain and everywhere in between. A truly healthy immune system depends on a balanced healthy diet over time, so if your diet does not provide adequate levels of the following vitamins and minerals essential for immune system it may not be operating at its best.
Pointing down some critical nutrients for optimal immune:
1. Vitamin C - Vitamin C gets a lot of air time around immunity-and for good reason. This vital vitamin may help fight colds, ramps up antioxidant activity in the body, and aids in the absorption of other nutrients, like iron. Vitamin C foods are a standout and the sources as follow:
- Bell Peppers
Also read: Keep Your Immunity Strong With This Drink: Here's How You Can Make It
2. Vitamin D - Known as sunshine vitamin helps to build and maintain strong bones by helping the body absorb calcium and is one of the most important and powerful nutrient supporting immune System. Food sources are limited yet once can get the desired from
- Egg Yolk
- Fortified Milk and Juice
3. Vitamin E - Like Vitamin C, Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant protecting cells from the damaging effects of free radicals. It also fights off invading bacteria and viruses. To get Vitamin E, think high-fat plant
- Sunflower seeds
- Oils such as Sunflower, Safflower etc
4. Vitamin A - While Vitamin A plays a role in vision and tissue growth, it also has an essential role in the immune system. Specifically, Vitamin A referred to as the 'anti-infection' regulates the immune system to help fight off infections. Known as beta-carotene is found in
- Sweet potato
- Green leafy vegetables
Also read: Immunity Tips: Try This 9-Ingredient Bedtime Drink For Better Sleep And Stronger Immunity
5. Zinc - Zinc is crucial for the development and functioning of immune cells. It helps support brain function, maintain healthy hormone levels, synthesize DNA and proteins, and boost the immune system. Food rich in Selenium are:
- Nuts & Seeds
- Whole Grains
6. Iron - Iron helps to carry oxygen to cells and plays an important role in many immune system processes. Iron is present in:
- Dark green leafy vegetables
- Dried fruits (Raisins and apricots)
Also read: Do Not Fall For Immunity-Boosting Quick Fixes: Incorporate These 5 Lifestyle Changes Today
7. Selenium - Selenium has a powerful role in it regulating excessive immune responses and chronic inflammation. Look for Selenium in:
- Brazil nuts
By and large, taking in a well-balanced diet, staying hydrated, getting enough sleep and reducing stress in your life all help support your immune system.
(Nmami Agarwal is a nutritionist at Nmami Life)
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. NDTV is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.