World Hand Hygiene Day 2023: How To Wash Your Hands And Health Benefits Associated With It
World Hand Hygiene Day: As it has been suggested by the World Health Organization, it is important to wash hands with soap and water for 20 seconds.
Hand Hygiene Day: Regularly washing hands is important for safety of healthcare workers
- Wash your hands every time you step out for groceries
- Wash your hands before, after and during cooking
- Wash your hands regularly for preventing COVID-19
World Hand Hygiene Day is observed on May 5 across the world. Properly washing hands is an effective way to remove and prevent the spread of germs. Every year, this day is observed in order to encourage people around the world to increase adherence to hand hygiene in healthcare facilities in order to protect healthcare workers from catching infections. As it has been suggested by the World Health Organization, it is important to wash hands with soap and water for 20 seconds.
World Hand Hygiene Day: How to properly wash your hands?
Follow these steps to properly wash your hands:
1. Wet your hands with clean and running water. Turn off the tap and apply soap.
2. Rub your hands with soap and lather well. Rub the back of your hands, in between your fingers and under your nails. Rub for at least 20 seconds.
3. Now open the tap and rinse your hands.
4. Dry your hands with a clean towel or air dry them.
What are the times when you must wash your hands?
- After coming back from shopping groceries or stepping out
- Before wearing a mask and after you discard it
- After coughing or sneezing
- When taking care of the sick
- Before, during and after you prepare food
- Before eating
- After using the toilet
- When your hands are dirty
- After handling animals or animal waste
World Hand Hygiene Day: Benefits of washing your hands regularly
1. Regularly washing your hands can reduce your risk of catching infections like cold and flu.
2. It can prevent eye infections that can be caused by bacteria and germs which get into eyes from hands.
3. Regular washing of hands is important to create a safer working environment for healthcare workers and patients.
4. Regularly washing hands helps in removing germs and bacteria that can cause diarrhoea and intestinal illnesses.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.