Hospitals To Take Permission Before Giving Formula Milk To Newborn: E- Petition; Health Benefits Of Breastmilk Over Formula Milk For Newborn
According to an online petition, hospitals should seek permission from parents before giving formula milk to newborn. Read to know about the petition and health benefits of breastmilk over formula milk for the health of your newborn.
Hospitals may need parents' permission before giving formula milk to newborn
- Jincy Varghese has issued online petition against formula milk
- The petition is to raise awareness about breastmilk for newborn
- Breastmilk is way healthier than formula milk for newborn's health
A 31-year old Panvel mother has raised concerns about the idea that hospitals should take permission from parents before giving formula milk to newborns. Jincy Varghese has issued an online petition in which she has demanded a policy wherein hospitals should be bound to take parents' permission before giving formula milk to newborns. The petition has been gaining momentum - as many as 33,500 signatures are already there. Most of these are from new mothers. It was after Jincy herself faced the problem that she went ahead to raise the concern about breastmilk. When she delivered her baby at hospital in central Mumbai, she was taken aback when nurses at the hospital took the baby to neonatal ICU and fed him with formula milk, despite having milk bank.
The petition comes at a time when there is global outcry over the alleged obstruction of the US at the World Health Assembly in May - to an international resolution to promote breastfeeding. It has been alleged that the US spoke against the resolution which raised awareness about formula products and how misleading they can be.
Breastmilk is extremely important for the health of the baby. According to a data by the World Health Organisation, 8.2 lakh infant deaths because of diarrhoea and other infections can be avoided by breastfeeding.
The decision to breast feed your child is a personal matter. But many medical authorities strongly recommend breastfeeding. Breastmilk contains antibodies that help the baby fight viruses and bacteria. Breastfeeding is advantageous for the mother as well. It helps in reducing the pregnancy weight. Moreover, it lowers the risk of breast cancer and ovarian cancer. Also, breastfeeding elevates the risk of having asthma or allergies. Babies who are breastfed for the first six months have lesser ear infections and respiratory illnesses as it contains all the vitamins and nutrients that are essential for the baby.
Below are some health benefits of breastmilk over formula milk for the mother and the baby:
1. Boosts child's intelligence: Various researchers have found that breast feeding is helpful for the cognitive development of the child. Experts say that the emotional bonding that takes place during breastfeeding contributes to development of the brain.
2. Protects the baby from obesity: Breast fed babies have lesser obesity rates than formula fed babies. They have more leptin and gut bacteria. Breast milk contains less insulin than formula. Breastfed babies are better at eating until their hunger is satisfied, leading to healthier eating patterns as they grow. Mother's milk has more leptin, a hormone that helps in regulating appetite and fat.
3. Fights Diseases: Breast fed baby has strong immune system and lower risk of allergies, celiac diseases and diabetes. They have a lower incidence of SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) and diabetes. They respond better to immunizations against Polio, Diphtheria and Tetanus.
Also read: Debunking Myths About Breastfeeding
4. Nutrition: Mother's milk has all the vital nutrients that a newborn requires. It is thick, rich and contains all the beneficial compounds. Often called the "perfect food" breast milk has lactose and protein (whey and casein) and is easily digested by the baby. Apart from this it is comprised of many vitamins and minerals that are must for the child.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.