Want Healthy, Glowing Hair? Take Care Of Your Scalp First!
Hair care tips: Scalp care includes good cleansing and moisturising. You should keep the scalp clean by regularly cleansing with the right shampoo, followed by hydrating the scalp and hair with a moisturising scalp-compatible mask.
Protect your hair and scalp from heat and chemical-based hair styling
- Scalp care involves good moisturising and cleansing
- Massaging of scalp with hair oil is important for scalp health
- Eat a healthy diet for a healthy scalp
Hair care tips: Do you take care of your scalp health as much as you take care of your hair? Well, you will be surprised to know that taking care of scalp health is as important as taking care of your hair health. Having a healthy scalp is the first step towards having healthy and lustrous hair. Gone are the days when scalp was ignored and only hair were was nourished and taken care of. The scalp is an extension of the face. It contains a high number of sebaceous glands, sweat glands and hair follicles and needs to be taken care of.
Following are some tips that you need to follow for if you want a well-nourished scalp:
1. Scalp care includes good cleansing and moisturising. You should keep the scalp clean by regularly cleansing with the right shampoo, followed by hydrating the scalp and hair with a moisturising scalp-compatible mask.
2. Remember that excess cleansing of scalp is also harmful. It washes away natural oils from the scalp.
3. Massaging of scalp with hair oil is very important. It moisturises the scalp and helps improving blood circulation in the scalp. Coconut oil, amla oil, almond oil and mustard oil are a few effective oils for hair and scalp health.
4. Excess flakiness, dandruff, itchy, red and inflamed scalp skin should not be ignored. It needs to be dealt with specific treatment. I always recommend a visit to your dermatologist to understand and manage the scalp concern before choosing the type of shampoo and hair products
5. Hair offers protection to the scalp. In case you have to be outdoors for a long time in the sun, wear a scarf or a hat to protect scalp and hair from damage.
6. Protect your hair and scalp from heat and chemical-based hair styling. Use heat protecting formulations (sprays or serums) to protect the hair from blow-dryers and styling irons.
7. Consume a healthy diet. What you eat will directly be reflected on your hair and skin. Make sure you consume a balanced diet including all food groups for healthy hair and scalp.
Overall, you should keep the scalp clean and moisturised. Deep cleanse once a fortnight, use a specialised treatment if required. Use a scalp serum to take care of scalp health. The key to healthy hair is a healthy scalp.
(Article by Dr. Sangeeta Velaskar, Director - Medical and R&D at Kaya Limited)
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. NDTV is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.