Date of Birth: 27th November 1939
Early schooling at Allahabad, UP, India.
Medical Education and Training: from King George’s Medical College, Lucknow, India
MBBS – 1961
MD (Internal Medicine) – 1964 from New England Medical Center, Boston, USA
Training in collagen vascular diseases, systemic rheumatic diseases and clinical immunology – 1964-68
1. All-India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi:
Assistant Professor of Medicine, In-charge Rheumatology Services and Clinical Immunology laboratory – 1968-1976.
Associate Professor of Medicine, In-charge Rheumatology Services and Clinical Immunology laboratory – 1976-1985.
Professor of Medicine, In-charge Rheumatology Services and Clinical Immunology laboratory – 1985-1991.
Professor and Head, Department of Medicine, In-charge Rheumatology Services and clinical immunology laboratory – 1991-1994.
2. Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait:
Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, In-Charge Rheumatology Services – April 1994- September 2000
Dr. Malaviya took premature retirement at the end of September 2000, and returned to India in the middle of October 2000 and become a practicing Consultant Rheumatologist in New Delhi, India.
Special area of medical expertise - Systemic Rheumatic and collagen vascular diseases:
1. Systemic rheumatic diseases – mainly rheumatoid arthritis, and other inflammatory arthritides (psoriatic arthritis, spondyloarthropathies, other seronegative inflammatory arthropathies).
2. Collagen vascular diseases – systemic lupus erythematosus, dermato-polymyositis, systemic sclerosis, Sjogren’s syndrome, and other related systemic connective tissue diseases.
Systemic vasculitides: Wegener’s granulomatosis, polyarteritis nodosa, polyangitis syndrome, Churg-Strauss syndrome and other forms of related systemic vasculitides.
1. He has been nominated for the Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians of London on 1st May 2007. (FRCP, London).
2. The American College of Rheumatology has honoured him by making him 'Americal College of Rheumatology - MASTER' (ACR Master) in November 2006.
3. Research Publications: More than 400 research publications as original articles, invited articles, editorials, case-reports, reviews etc. in national and international journals. (Till June 2000 there were 270 of these research papers that were listed in ‘Medline’).
4. Chapters in books: Has written more than 40 chapters in textbooks of medicine, monographs, rheumatology manuals, Conference proceedings etc.
5. Discovery: Discoverer of the usefulness of a drug called ‘methotrexate’ in a rheumatic condition (dermatomyositis). Since then this has become the mainstay of treatment of a variety of systemic rheumatic diseases including rheumatoid arthritis. (Research paper published in 1968: Malaviya AN, Many A, Schwartz RS. Treatment of dermatomyositis with methotrexate. The Lancet 1968; 2: 485-488).
Field of research work: Has done research work mainly in the area of Rheumatology, collagen vascular diseases, systemic vasulitides. In Kuwait, he worked on the unusually common problem of hypercoagulability mainly due to anti-phospholipid syndrome, and showed that Egyptians and Arabs may have extremely high prevalence of this disease. He worked extensively on the high prevalence of panniculitis in Kuwait, across all ethnic and racial barriers, indicating environmental factor(s).
Dr. Malaviya has won several national awards including the Shakuntala Amir Chand and Kamala Menon ICMR awards, von Pirquet Award of the Indian College of Allergy and Immunology, Boots oration award and Life-time achievement award of the Indian Rheumatism Association, O.P. Bhasin Foundation award for work in the field of biomedical sciences etc.
Memberships and Fellowships:
Fellow of the American College of Physicians
Fellow ofthe American College of Rheumatology
Fellow of the Academy of Medical Sciences, India
Fellow of the Indian College of Physicians, India
Fellow of the National Academy of Sciences, India
Life member of the Indian Immunology Society (IIS)
Indian Rheumatism Association (IRA)
Association of Physicians of India, Indian College of Allergy & Applied Immunology
Has served as member of the executive of the Indian Immunology Society and the Indian Rheumatism Association. He also served as Jt. Secretary, Secretary and then the President of the Indian Immunology Society. He also served as Vice-President, Senior-Vice President and the President of the Indian Rheumatism Association (1991-93).
Dr. Malaviya's contact details are:
Dr. A. N. Malaviya,
A&R Clinic for Arthritis and Rheumatism,
Flat 2015, Sector B-2,
Vasant Kunj, New Delhi-110 070
Tel: 613-0664, TeleFAX: 613-0725, Mobile- 98103-54220
Visiting Consultant Rheumatologist,
Indian Spinal Injuries Centre, (ISIC)
Sector-C (opposite Vasant Valley School),
New Delhi-110 070,
ISIC telephone: 689-4884, 689-8448