Ingrown Hair: Dermatologist Shares Possible Causes And Prevention Tips
Skincare tips: Ingrown hair is a condition when hair grows back into the skin but it can be solved.
Skincare tips: Improper techniques of shaving or waxing or plucking may lead to ingrown hair
Hair problems aren't just about the issues we face on the scalp. Hair growing on our skin, too, can cause problems. One of the major hair problems occurring on our skin is ingrown hair. Many of us have heard about this condition. But what is ingrown hair? Whenever hair curls back or starts growing sideways into the skin, the condition is known as ingrown hair. It may cause a variety of effects on the skin. Sometimes it causes tiny bumps on the surface of the skin. Other times, it may cause inflammation and pain. Cosmetologist Dr Geetika Mittal Gupta talked about the causes and treatments for ingrown hair in a recent video on social media.
Skincare tips: Know the causes and prevention steps for ingrown hair
If you ever wondered about the causes of ingrown hair, Dr Geetika's insight may help you. We often hear that ingrown hair is caused by hair removal techniques. Dr Geetika gives us three causes of ingrown hair. Here are the causes:
- Improper techniques of shaving or waxing or plucking. When the hair is cut very close to the skin it can curl back and cause ingrown hair
- Friction caused by clothing can also lead to ingrown hair. Hence it is common to notice this condition in areas where the skin undergoes a lot of friction due to tight clothing
- Ingrown hair can also be due to clogged follicles. This happens when some dirt or sebum clogs the pores and does not let the hair grow out. Hence, the hair curls inwards
Ingrown hair can be annoying and painful. Here are Dr Geetika's top tips to fight ingrown hair:
- Exfoliate your skin twice a week with a physical exfoliant
- Exfoliate once a week with a chemical exfoliant
- Don't forget to moisturise after exfoliating your skin
- If you usually shave or wax your body hair, choose to wet your skin with warm water before the process. Always remove hair in the direction that it is growing. Do not shave or wax in the opposite direction of hair growth
- If you currently shave or wax, you can think about switching to laser hair removal
- Don't pick at ingrown hair or their bumps. If it is irritating you, see a doctor for safe removal.
Here is her post:
Ingrown hair conditions can be solved with the help of these tips.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.