Feeling Constipated? Try Our Top 7 Home Remedies
Constipation means that your bowel movements are hard and tough to pass or happens less than normal. One can face many social and psychological problems but here's how you can treat it at home
About 14% people suffer from constipation in urban areas
What causes constipation?
Most people experience constipation due to dietary changes. But there can be several other reasons, especially if it lasts for a longer period of time:
1. Low fibre intake: Fibre helps bowel movements to be easy and regular. Low fibre content in your diet can lead to constipation.
2. Inadequate physical activity
3. Hormonal changes as during pregnancy.
4. Anxiety, depression and other emotional conditions may sometimes cause constipation.
5. Poor bowel habits: Voluntary withholding of the stool is a common cause of constipation. The choice to withhold can be due to factors such as fear of pain, fear of public restrooms, or laziness. Especially children must be encouraged to go to the toilet regularly.
6. Medications: Many medications have constipation as a side effect.Supplements such as calcium and iron supplements can also have constipation as a notable side effect.
7. Laxative overuse: Some laxatives work by stimulating bowel activity. Such stimulant laxatives should be taken only as directed.If used for long periods of time, stimulant laxatives can lead to dependence, meaning your body simply won't function properly without them.
Tips you can follow if you are suffering from constipation:
- Increase your fibre intake
- Exercise regularly
- Maintain a proper diet
- Stay hydrated
Home remedies to cure constipation:1. Dried plums
Dried plums also known as prune are highly effective to cure constipation. They are rich in fibre. Prunes contain 15% sorbitol which helps in drawing back the lost water content into the colon. This helps to loosen and soften the stool. You can either consume prunes or prune juice. You can have 3-4 prunes per day or 3 glasses of prunes juice in a day. It also helps in proper absorption of nutrients.
Prunes are the safest and most effective remedy for constipation
One medium kiwi has a total of 2 grams of fibre, composed of both the insoluble and soluble forms.Kiwi helps in introducing water to the stool, which can aid in easier passing. It is the best high-fibre fruit with very low sugar content.
Figs can be eaten either fresh or dry, but fresh figs are not easily available in India perhaps they are very popular as a dry fruit.Figs are the best source of soluble fibre which relieves constipation. Boil two pieces of dry figs in a cup of milk. Eat them along the milk before sleep.4. Oranges
Fibre helps to prevent as well as relieves constipation because it helps food waste move through your body. One medium orange contains 3.1g of fibre. One needs 25 to 30 g of fibre everyday. It is also important to drink water to prevent constipation. Oranges provide both fibre and an abundance of water, unlike dry sources of fibre that might require additional water intake.5. Magnesium supplements
Adding magnesium supplements in your diet might also help you relieve constipation. You can take magnesium capsules. You can also get magnesium from food sources like whole grains or green leafy vegetables. You must consult your doctor before taking magnesium supplements if you have a history of kidney problems.6. Oatmeal
Oatmeal contains both soluble and in soluble fibre. A half-cup of dry oats contains 2 grams of insoluble and 2 grams of soluble fibre. Insoluble fibre adds bulk to stool and helps food pass more quickly through the stomach and intestines, while soluble fibre dissolves in water and forms a gel-like material.
7. Coconut oil
Coconut oil intake may prevent constipation.A tablespoon or two of coconut oil each day might help lubricate your intestines. You can blend it with vinegar for a simple salad dressing.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.