World Asthma Day: Foods To Eat And Avoid If You Have Asthma
World Asthma Day 2018: People who have asthma are recommended to have a nutritious diet which can help in improving their condition as well as their overall health.
World Asthma Day 2018: People who have asthma should eat nutritious foods
The World Asthma Day is celebrated each year on the first Tuesday of the month of May. If you are suffering from asthma, eating and avoiding some foods will help you in dealing with the condition in a better way. Asthma is a condition which causes inflammation in the airways of lungs, also known as bronchial tubes. Swelling of bronchial tubes leads to an asthmatic attack. People who have asthma are recommended to have a nutritious diet which can help in improving their condition as well as their overall health. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables can help in dealing with asthma. World Asthma Day 2018 follows the theme "Global Initiative for Asthma".
World Asthma Day 2018: Asthma is a condition which causes inflammation in the airways of lungs
Photo Credit: iStock
Asthma and obesity are linked
According to American Thoracic Society, obesity is one of the major risks factors that can cause asthma. Moreover, asthma is more severe and difficult to treat in obese people. Hence, eating a balanced diet and maintaining a healthy weight can help in dealing with asthma in a better way.
Also read: Non-Asthmatic Patients Not Benefited By Steroids
This World Asthma Day, take note of the foods which you should eat and avoid if you are asthmatic.1. Foods rich in beta carotene (which is a form of Vitamin A can be considered good for people who are suffering from asthma. Sources of beta carotene include carrots, sweet potatoes, cantaloupe, leafy green veggies, spinach and broccoli.
2. Vitamin D is an essential requirement among people who are suffering from asthma. Foods rich in Vitamin D can reduce incidence of asthmatic attacks in children. Milk, orange juice, eggs and salmon are good sources of vitamin D.
3. Bananas are known to decrease wheezing in children and improve functioning of lungs. Antioxidant and potassium content in bananas make them good for people who have asthma.
4. Apples are good for people suffering from asthma as they improve functioning of lungs.
World Asthma Day 2018: Magnesium is important for asthmatic patients
5. Magnesium is another mineral which required by people suffering from asthma. Dark chocolate, spinach, pumpkin seeds and salmon are all good sources of magnesium.
Also read: Asthma Medicine May Cut Parkinson's Risk By Half: Study
World Asthma Day 2018: Foods to avoid if you have asthma
1. Asthmatic people should avoid eating large meals or foods that cause gas. This is because they put pressure on your diaphragm. This is specifically for people who have acid reflux. They may trigger asthma flares and cause tightness in chest. Beans, cabbage, fried foods, carbonated drinks, onion and garlic are foods to avoid if you have asthma.
2. People who have asthma should avoid processed foods since they come with added preservatives and flavours.
3. Preservatives like sulphites are bad for people who have asthma. Dried fruits, wine, shrimp, bottled
lemon or lime juice and pickled food should be avoided by people who have asthma.
4. Some asthmatic people might be sensitive to salicylates that are found in some herbs, spices, tea and coffee.
5. Asthmatic people who have food allergies should avoid common triggers like dairy products, wheat and tree nuts.
Also read: Are you Suffering From Asthma? A Healthy Diet Can Rescue You
All in all, people who have asthma should pay special heed to their health and weight. Your overall health will determine the severity of your asthma and how prone you are to asthmatic attacks. Following a healthier diet will help you deal with the condition in a better way and will also improve your energy levels. It will also help you have controlled blood pressure, cholesterol levels and an improved digestion.
Happy World Asthma Day!
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.