Coronavirus Death Toll Rises To 908 On Monday, 40,171 Are The Total Number Of Confirmed Cases
Coronavirus outbreak: Chinese authorities are still struggling to contain the outbreak despite ordering millions of people to stay indoors in a growing number of cities, with overwhelmed hospitals struggling to treat the surging numbers of ill.
The novel coronavirus emerged in Wuhan in December
- More than 4,800 infected people are in serious condition in China
- Chinese authorities are still struggling to contain the outbreak
- WHO has declared coronavirus a global health emergency
Coronavirus update: Official death toll of the coronavirus outbreak rose to 908. The total number of infections are now more than 40,000, the government has said. The toll was raised by 97 new deaths from the epidemic, said the National Health Commission in its daily updated. The total number of people infected with coronavirus has now reached 40, 171. 69 new deaths in 24 hours to Friday have been reported in Hubei province, which is hardest-hit by coronavirus infection. Of the total number of reported infections, more than 4,800 people are in a serious condition.
Chinese authorities are still struggling to contain the outbreak despite ordering millions of people to stay indoors in a growing number of cities, with overwhelmed hospitals struggling to treat the surging numbers of ill.
Also read: Coronavirus Update: People Without Symptoms Can Also Be Infected With The Novel Coronavirus
The novel coronavirus emerged in Wuhan in December. It has now spread to the rest of China and more than two dozen other countries, including India. The World Health Organization has declared coronavirus a global health emergency.
The health commission has also said that the number of confirmed infections in China can grow significantly with the health commission saying that more 26,000 other people were suspected of having contracted the virus.
Also read: Flu Shots Can Prevent Coronavirus - This And Other Myths Busted
In order to prevent being infected from coronavirus, it is important to:
- Stay in isolation and wash hands regularly with soap and water.
- Cover your nose and mouth with flexed elbow or tissue whenever you are coughing or sneezing. Discard the tissue immediately after use, and wash your hands thereafter.
- Avoid going to crowded place and maintain social distancing. Be at a distance of 3 feet (at least) from other people.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth as surfaces can be contaminated with the virus.
- If you experience any of the symptoms mentioned above, go for an immediate diagnosis and stay in isolation.
- Travel history to and from China is important at the moment. Go for a diagnosis if you have travelled to China recently.
- Wash your hands after touching pets. Avoid contact with stray animals.
- Avoid consumption of raw or uncooked meat.
(With inputs from AFP)
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.