International Yoga Day 2022: Are You A Yoga Beginner? Here Are 5 Simple And Effective Yoga Poses For You To Do In The Morning
International Yoga Day 2022: Performing these yoga asanas in the morning will guarantee a fresh and productive start to your day.
International Yoga Day 2022: Surya namaskar is ideal for beginners practicing morning yoga
International Yoga Day will be celebrated on June 21. The day is observed to spread awareness about the innumerable benefits of Yoga. The ancient Indian form of exercise is known to provide mental as well as physical well-being to the body. Yoga asanas are a one-stop shop for a complete body workout without needing any external gear or equipment. The exercises can be done indoors and are a combination of breathing and stretching techniques that focus on the entire body as well as on the mind. Yoga can rid the body of several maladies, strengthen bones and muscles and regulate hormone secretion.
If you want to begin performing yoga asanas, here are 5 easy and efficient poses for you to try first thing in the morning:
1. Surya namaskar
Surya namaskar is a combination of 12 asanas referred to as salutations to the sun. The Surya Namaskar is known to strengthen the spine and back muscles. It is known to bring down blood sugar levels and improve metabolism and blood circulation.
- To begin one must stand up straight with folded arms in a prayer position.
- Gradually lift your joined hands behind your head and stretch backward completely. Then exhale and bend down and touch your palms to the ground.
- Bend your right knee towards your chest and push your left leg back completely and inhale.
- Bring your right knee next to your left leg and exhale and hold the plank position.
- Place your body flat on the mat and place both palms on either side of your body and lift your abdomen up and stretch your head backward and inhale keeping your legs firmly flat on the ground.
- Then transition by lifting your hips up towards the ceiling and your palms flat on the ground forming an inverted V and exhaling.
- Bend your left knee against your chest and stretch your right leg behind you and inhale.
- Finally, bring both legs forward and stand straight, stretching your arms behind your head before bringing them back into the initial prayer position.
This pose is primarily to strengthen your abdominal muscles and give relief to your lower back. The pose is popularly known as the cobra pose and aids in losing weight around the belly area. This exercise can be done by:
- Begin by lying down flat on your stomach
- Slowly bring your palms facing down and place them next to your chest
- Apply pressure on your palms and lift your abdomen region gradually
- Inhale as you lift the upper body and stretch
- Lift your head as behind as your can
- Hold this position for a few seconds
3. Mudra Asana
The mudra asana is the perfect pose to aid digestion and help stretch the back and strengthen abdomen muscles. If performed in the morning the pose will ensure effective digestion throughout the day. To do this exercise you begin by:
- Sit in the folded knees position
- Place both your arms tightly behind your back
- Take a deep breath
- Gradually release the breath as you bend forward until your forehead touches the ground
- Hold this position for a few seconds.
- Begin to come back to your original position by slowly inhaling
4. Parsva Sukhasana
This pose is perfect to help relieve the body of anxiety and stress. When done in the morning this exercise is guaranteed to keep your mind calm and peaceful as you go about your busy day. To perform this exercise begin by:
- Sit with your legs folded in the lotus position. Take a deep breath and fold your palms
- Slowly raise the folded palms above your head and take a deep breath
- Exhale and bring your palms back in front of your chest
- Place your left arm on the ground and stretch the upper body to the left with the right arm above your head stretching in the same direction as the body
- Come back to your original position. Then place your right arm on the ground and stretch your upper body to the right with your left arm stretched above your head in the same direction as your body
- Bring your body back to its original position and place both arms on your folded legs and begin inhaling and exhaling slowly and deeply. Repeat these breathing exercises a few times
Also known as the plank pose. This pose works on your back and stomach. It is perfect to strengthen your core and while it looks simple to do, it takes tremendous effort to hold the position. To do this exercise begin by:
- Lie on your stomach
- Place arms in front of you and lift the body
- Balance the body on your palms and feet
- Keep your legs straight and ensure your arms are stretched below your shoulders. Keep your body in a straight line and hold this position for a few seconds
- Exhale as you lower your body into the resting position.
What are you waiting for? Try these asanas at home and feel the change.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for a qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.