7 Most Effective Home Remedies For Chikungunya
Chikungunya is an infection caused by chikungunya virus which causes high fever and severe joint pain. One can use different home remedies to rid of the symptoms. read on to find more.
Symptoms can be abrupt onset of fever, severe joint pain, small red spots all over the body, muscle pain, headache, nausea, fatigue or rash.
How to diagnose it?
See your doctor if you develop the symptoms described above. Serological tests, such as enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISA), may confirm the presence of IgM and IgG anti-chikungunya antibodies. IgM antibody levels are highest 3 to 5 weeks after the onset of illness and persist for about 2 months. Samples collected during the first week after the onset of symptoms should be tested by both serological and virological methods (RT-PCR).
How to treat it?
There is no antiviral drug or medicine specifically for Chikungunya. Treatment usually is to get relief from symptoms and include taking sufficient rest, taking more fluids and painkillers.
But there are some effective home remedies which will help you get rid of chikungunya:
1. Giloy: giloy is one of the most effective ayurvedic medicines. Cut a stem of Giloy in small pieces and along with few tulsi leaves, grind it to make a paste. Add this mixture to 1 litre water and put it on stove at low flame. Cook till the mixture reduces to 250 ml. Once it reduces to 250 ml remove pan from flame and strain out remaining liquid. Take this decoction three times a day. You can also take giloy capsules after your meal, twice a day.
2. Papaya leaves: wash 7-8 papaya leaves and remove the long stem and central vein. Chop the leaves and blend with some water to get a paste. Strain this liquid and discard the pulp. Drink two tablespoons of this juice in every three hours for effective results.
3. Basil leaves: chewing 3-4 basil (tulsi) leaves twice a day can help in bringing down the fever and strengthen immunity. You can also boil 8-9 basil leaves in half litre of water, until the water is reduced to half. Strain it and drink.
4. For rashes, a combination of olive oil and vitamin E can be applied on the affected areas of the skin.
5. Coconut water: drinking coconut water is one of the best home remedies for chikungunya treatment as it helps the patients to recover fast by detoxifying the liver. Drink 3-4 glasses of coconut water in a day.
Read more about Chikungunya
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.