First aid for cuts
Clean the wound and surrounding area, wiping away from the wound, using sterile swabs.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before treating the wound.
- Gently brush away any foreign object on the surface, such as gravel or sand.
- Clean the wound and surrounding area, wiping away from the wound, using sterile swabs, warm and sterile water, and a mild antiseptic.
- Pat dry the skin around the wound but do not wipe away blood clots.
- Apply a sterile, non-adherent dressing, if necessary. If the wound is dirty or caused by a rusty object, a tetanus toxoid injection may be needed.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.