Treating cough at home
Increasing humidity in the air helps relieve a cough. A vapouriser and a steamy shower are two ways to increase humidity.
- Increasing humidity in the air helps relieve a cough. A vapouriser and a steamy shower are two ways to increase humidity.
- Drink extra fluids to help thin secretions and make them easier to cough up.
- Glyceryl guaiacolate is available without prescription and may help liquefy the mucous. Drink lots of fluids if taking this medication.
- When a cold and a stuffy, runny nose accompany the cough, it is often caused by mucous dripping down the back of the throat. A decongestant that opens the nasal passages will relieve this postnasal drip.
- Decongestants such as phenylephrine, pseudoephedrine or combinations of these two decongestants are available as over-the-counter cold medications. Don't give decongestants to a child under six years of age unless prescribed by the doctor.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.