Treating cough at home
Increasing humidity in the air helps relieve a cough. A vapouriser and a steamy shower are two ways to increase humidity.
- Increasing humidity in the air helps relieve a cough. A vapouriser and a steamy shower are two ways to increase humidity.
- Drink extra fluids to help thin secretions and make them easier to cough up.
- Glyceryl guaiacolate is available without prescription and may help liquefy the mucous. Drink lots of fluids if taking this medication.
- When a cold and a stuffy, runny nose accompany the cough, it is often caused by mucous dripping down the back of the throat. A decongestant that opens the nasal passages will relieve this postnasal drip.
- Decongestants such as phenylephrine, pseudoephedrine or combinations of these two decongestants are available as over-the-counter cold medications. Don't give decongestants to a child under six years of age unless prescribed by the doctor.