Keeping your heart healthy
Maintaining a healthy weight helps you reduce your risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes.
- Saturated fat affects blood cholesterol levels, so try to eat less full-fat dairy products, cakes, cookies, pastries and burgers. Replace these with monosaturated fats such as olive oil.
- Reducing salt intake can help reduce blood pressure. The recommended level is 6g a day for an adult.
- Make exercise a regular part of your life. Each day, do at least 30 minutes of physical activity that raises your heartbeat.
- Too much fat, especially around the abdomen or waist area, increases the risk for heart disease and stroke. So cut down abdominal fat.
- Maintaining a healthy weight helps you reduce your risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes.