Dealing with social phobia
Challenge negative thoughts: Dont underestimate yourself.
- Challenge negative thoughts: Don't underestimate yourself. Whenever a negative about failure comes to you, talk to a friend or a family member very close to you who can boost up your self confidence.
- Learn to control your breath: Social phobia often results in over breathing, which throws off the balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in your body and makes you feel anxious, dizzy, giddy and nervous. Learn how to slow your breath down to bring your physical symptoms of anxiety under control.
- Face your fears: Instead of running away from them, face your fears because their avoidance keeps social anxiety disorder going. For example, if you are scared of speaking in the public, speak in front of a 2-3 friends first and gradually increase your audience.
- Make positive changes in your lifestyle: Avoid or limit caffeine, drink only in moderation. Say a complete NO to smoking and get adequate sleep. This will help you reduce your overall anxiety levels and set the stage for successful treatment.
- Go for relaxation techniques: In addition to breathing exercises, regular practice of relaxation techniques such as meditation, yoga, and progressive muscle relaxation will also help you get control over the physical symptoms of anxiety.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.