Beating Examination Stress
To increase productivity and take the exams well, it is necessary - besides studying hard to kill the stress by focusing on eating habits, sleep patterns, mental and physical fitness.
- Eat right - A balanced diet is important, especially during examinations. Fresh fruits and vegetables provide reserves of energy and boost your ability to concentrate. Junk food like pizzas, burgers, and deep fried foods like chips and pakoras are a strict NO-NO. Spicy and salty foods just prior to the exams can lead to sluggishness during the exams. Excess tea, coffee and chocolates should also be avoided. These may stimulate you temporarily, but they will also get you tired.
- Take care of your eyes - Examination time means a lot of reading, writing and strain. Make sure not to overexert or strain your eyes. Make sure there is ample light in the room when you are studying. Reading with a night lamp is a strict no-no. Avoid leaning on the table or reading in the sleeping position for a long time as it will strain your eyes. Rest your eyes every half an hour or so; blinking also helps. Avoid rubbing the eyes. Splash your eyes with cold water at regular intervals.
- Get adequate sleep - Do not compromise on sleep. A sound sleep of at least 6-7 hours is vital during exam days. Staying awake all night to study before the exam is not a good idea as it will make you feel tired and sluggish during the exam.
- Practice relaxation exercises - Practice deep breathing exercises, meditation, and other relaxation exercises as part of your daily routine during the examinations. This will not only help you kill the examination stress but also help you concentrate more and learn quickly.
- Take small breaks - As soon as you notice you are losing concentration, take a short break. During your break-time, you could take a stroll, listen to some relaxing music or just take a short nap of 15 minutes. This will help your feel refreshed and you would be able to concentrate on your studies again in a better way.
- Get active - Exercise, physical exercise like running, jogging, skipping for 15-20 minutes a day will help you feel stress free and mentally fit.
Best of Luck!!!
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.