Breastfeed your baby in a quiet place with low lights and limited noise.
- Find a quite spot - Breastfeed your baby in a quiet place with low lights and limited noise where your baby and you can relax. It would not only make the right environment for your baby but also sends a signal that it's the time to let the milk flow.
- Make yourself comfortable - Once you get baby latched on and happily sucking away, the last thing you want to do is disturb her just to keep your arm from falling asleep. So make yourself comfortable first by keeping a pillow for support.
- Eat right - You may need to take extra calories to have a successful milk flow. Your daily calorie intake should be about 3000 cals. Exclusively breastfeed till your baby is six months old. Eat healthy balanced nutritious diet including lots of fruits vegetables. Keep a particular focus on protein and calcium.
- Adequate milk production - it is normal to worry that baby is not getting enough milk. The best prescription for maximum milk production is effective and frequent breast feeding or milk expression, plenty of fluids, adequate calories and rest. Do not take stress. It may negatively affect milk production.
- Do not hesitate to take help - If you are facing difficulty in feeding the baby, do not hesitate to take help from a professional. They will guide you how to begin with lactation. Be patient when baby is not getting it right away. And, if the baby is showing sign of failing to thrive, then switching to formula milk might not be a bad idea.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.