Having a diet rich in iron, vitamin C, folic acid can help prevent anaemia.
- Eat plenty of iron-rich foods, such as apples, bananas, apricots and plums; vegetables such as asparagus, squash, yams, broccoli and leafy greens; red meat; tofu; and whole grains.
- Eat and drink vitamin C-rich foods and drinks. Vitamin C helps increase iron absorption.
- Avoid drinking tea or coffee with your meals, as they can affect iron absorption. Omitting sugar or decreasing its consumption also helps increasing iron absorption.
- Get enough vitamin B12 and folic acid in your diet.
- Add dried fruits, such as raisins and prunes, to your diet. They are good sources of iron.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.