Having a diet rich in iron, vitamin C, folic acid can help prevent anaemia.
- Eat plenty of iron-rich foods, such as apples, bananas, apricots and plums; vegetables such as asparagus, squash, yams, broccoli and leafy greens; red meat; tofu; and whole grains.
- Eat and drink vitamin C-rich foods and drinks. Vitamin C helps increase iron absorption.
- Avoid drinking tea or coffee with your meals, as they can affect iron absorption. Omitting sugar or decreasing its consumption also helps increasing iron absorption.
- Get enough vitamin B12 and folic acid in your diet.
- Add dried fruits, such as raisins and prunes, to your diet. They are good sources of iron.