Benefits of high fibre foods
Foods containing plenty of fibre have more bulk than low-fibre foods.
- Fibre can absorb large amounts of water in the bowels, and this makes stools softer and easier to pass. Anyone starting a higher-fibre diet will notice the difference in stool bulk. In almost all cases, increasing fibre in the diet will relieve constipation within hours or days.
- Because stools are easier to pass, less straining is necessary, and this can help relieve haemorrhoids.
- Foods containing plenty of fibre have more bulk than low-fibre foods. If taken in the right form at the right time and at sufficient quantities, fibre can sometimes slow the onset of hunger.
- Evidence is now growing to support the notion that foods containing soluble fibre (such as oats, rye barley, and beans) can have a positive influence on cholesterol, triglycerides, and other particles in the blood that affect the development of heart disease.
- Adding fibre to the diet helps regulate blood sugar levels, which is important in avoiding diabetes.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.