Top 9 Tips To Prevent Constipation
Constipation is a common digestive issue in which the bowel movements are infrequent or difficult to pass. Here are tips to relieve it.
Here are out top 9 tips to prevent constipation:
- Avoid constipating food items such as white rice, bananas, chocolate, strong black tea or coffee.
- Add vegetables to your diet. Aim to eat two cups of fruit or two and a half cups of vegetables every day. Eating fruits and vegetables help in keeping constipation under check.
- Exercise regularly. Physical activity stimulates the intestinal muscles and makes them work more efficiently. It also decreases the amount of time needed for food to move through your intestine.
- Drink lots of water. Drink at least eight to ten glasses of water daily to have good bowel movements. Water not only lubricates the intestines but also moistens the food eaten, aiding its flow through the body.
- Avoid ice creams, chips, cheese, meat, pizza and processed or frozen foods because they lack in fibre and can promote constipation.
- Reduce stress. Bowel movement depend on intricate signalling between the gut and he brain. When our brain is under stress, our bowel is under stress too. Make sure that you do not stress too much about things.
- A balanced diet helps deal with constipation. This diet should consist of unrefined foods such as wholegrain cereals, lentils, bran, sprouts, honey, radish, green leafy vegetables (like spinach, beans, carrot, cabbage etc.), fresh fruits, dry fruits and milk products (butter, ghee and cream). Include five servings of these fruits and vegetables in your diet daily.
- Include more fibre in your diet as it helps ease the bowel movements.
- Yogurt is rich in calcium and is good for the colon and helps relieve constipation.