Gastroenteritis hits Jaisalmer
Jaisalmer is in the throes of gastroenteritis, better known as food poisoning, with many children being affected by the condition. The authorities said that approximately eight to ten cases of gastroenteritis are being admitted to the local government hospital everyday. A two year old child admitted to the hospital after diarrhoea and vomiting died within 24 hours. Most of the cases being reported are from the rural areas of Jaisalmer district.
Gastroenteritis is an infection of the stomach and intestines caused by the consumption of contaminated food and water. The infection is common in areas of poor sanitation or unhygienic living conditions. It occurs within 2-3 hours of the consumption of the infected food and is characterised by symptoms like nausea, vomiting, stomach ache and diarrhoea.
The disease can be prevented by following a hygienic routine of boiling water and properly cooked food. Fruits and vegetables should be cleaned thoroughly before eating. Food should be covered to protect them from flies and insects.
November 24, 2000(PTI)
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information,
health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like
HIV and AIDS,
weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.