Treating a sore throat
So taking an over-the-counter decongestant may help ease your sore throat.
- Identify allergies - Common allergies can cause postnasal drip, which irritates the throat. A throat that is itchy, not just painful, points to an allergic condition. So, treat the allergy first to relive throat soreness.
- Get rid of stuffed nose - A stuffed-up nose can force you to breathe through your mouth, which irritates your throat. So taking an over-the-counter decongestant may help ease your sore throat as well.
- Take steam Keep your throat tissue moist with the help of steam.
- Use a humidifier - A humidifier may be helpful in relieving symptoms, especially in sore throats caused by mouth breathing and dry air.
- Gargles - Salt water gargles, hard candies, sprays for example, Chloraseptic) and lozenges can provide temporary pain relief.