Treating a sore throat
So taking an over-the-counter decongestant may help ease your sore throat.
- Identify allergies - Common allergies can cause postnasal drip, which irritates the throat. A throat that is itchy, not just painful, points to an allergic condition. So, treat the allergy first to relive throat soreness.
- Get rid of stuffed nose - A stuffed-up nose can force you to breathe through your mouth, which irritates your throat. So taking an over-the-counter decongestant may help ease your sore throat as well.
- Take steam Keep your throat tissue moist with the help of steam.
- Use a humidifier - A humidifier may be helpful in relieving symptoms, especially in sore throats caused by mouth breathing and dry air.
- Gargles - Salt water gargles, hard candies, sprays for example, Chloraseptic) and lozenges can provide temporary pain relief.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.