Recognising appendicitis pain
The main symptom of appendicitis is pain in the abdomen, which classically begins around the umbilicus.
- The main symptom is pain in the abdomen, which classically begins around the umbilicus and soon settles in the right lower quadrant, just above the groin.
- The pain is often accompanied by ill health, like fever that can be high and associated with sickly feeling and vomiting.
- The area above the right groin will be very tender and the patient will object to touching the area
- Inflammation spreads to the overlying covering called peritoneum, causing generalised tenderness and pressing on the left side of the abdomen also causes pain at the site of appendix.
- Not infrequently appendicitis starts slowly as vague pains coming and going, and can be difficult to diagnose.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop site for all your health needs providing the most credible health information, health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, diet plans, informative videos etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate info you need about health problems like diabetes, cancer, pregnancy, HIV and AIDS, weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of over 350 experts who help us develop content by giving their valuable inputs and bringing to us the latest in the world of healthcare.