Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Is my mother getting the correct treatment for hypertension?

Is my mother getting the correct treatment for hypertension?

Q: My 57 years old mother is suffering from high blood pressure. She is taking Nebi-H and Nicradia-R. Previously, she was on betanicardia capsules, but due to frequent common cold and cough, the doctor advised to take these drugs. Is she on right treatment?

A:Nebi-H contains two drugs: nebivolol and hydrochlorothiazide. Nicardia-R contains long-acting nifedipine and Beta-Nicardia contains two drugs: nifedipine and atenolol. It is very difficult to determine which drug is leading to common cold symptoms and cough. If it is due to nifedipine then both Nicardia-R and Beta-Nicardia should cause the side effect. Nebivolol can also cause respiratory symptoms. In good clinical practice, it is always better to give all the medicines separately rather than as combinations. This helps to adjust the dose and pinpoint side effects. Please ask your doctor to prescribe all required medicines separately. Once this is done it will be far easier to locate the offending drug.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.