Why does my brother vomit while on treatment for tuberculosis?
Q: My 20 years old brother has been diagnosed with tuberculosis in the lungs and he is on AKT-4 for the last week. He has been vomiting constantly. His liver function test is normal. How can his vomiting be cured?
A:Nausea and vomiting symptoms are maximum on starting anti-tubercular medication and then they gradually reduce.
- Keep monitoring LFT regularly, especially in first few weeks of medication.
- Don't remain empty stomach for too long after the early morning capsule containing Rifampicin. 30 minutes gap is sufficient.
- Encourage small frequent meals including fruits, juices, custard, etc.
- Needs anti-vomiting medication including domperidone/metoclopramide/ondansetron initially if vomiting is more.
- Your doctor can add any of these above medication and an antacid.