Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Is it safe to use steroids for gaining weight?

Is it safe to use steroids for gaining weight?

Q: I am a 27 year old male, 5 feet 11 inches tall and weigh 56 kg. I am physically not as strong as other normal boys of my age. I have always been frail and thin, but for the last few months my weight has gone down to an alarming level. I eat plenty of nutritious food but that has not helped. The doctor has prescribed Deca Durobolin 25mg once every month for 3 months. Is it safe to use this steroid drug?

A:Deca Durabolin (nandrolone) is an anabolic steroid indicated for the treatment of anaemia of chronic renal failure, aplastic anaemia and certain cases of female breast cancers only. It must not be used for unapproved uses due to a large number of side effects which may include water retention (resulting in artificial weight gain), reduction in the formation of sperms in males, testicular damage, impotence, gynaecomastia (increase in male breast size), increase in cholesterol levels, lowering of good cholesterol - high density lipoprotein (HDL), high blood pressure, abnormal liver function, jaundice, hepatitis, urinary bladder irritability, reduced urine flow, benign prostate hypertrophy, acne, oily skin, greasy hair, rash, pruritus, furunculosis, etc.