Why do I feel scared while sleeping?
Q: I am a 33 years old male unable to get proper sleep at night because I feel really scared while sleeping. I feel so alone that I have to tell my wife to keep her hands on my heart. I am unable to recognise my disease. Please help.
A:It can be quite distressing to feel scared during sleeping time, and can even lead to sleep disturbance besides affecting your next day's productivity. It is however important to know a few things before one would be able to definitely say as to what one is suffering from. The important questions would be:
- The feelings of scare occur in which part of the sleep - early - as soon as you go to bed, middle - you get up in the middle of the night, late or after you get to sleep.
- What thoughts go through your mind then?
- How long do you remain scared for?
- How easily you are able to get to sleep thereafter?
- What do you experience when you feel scared for e.g.: do you sweat , do you problems breathing, do you start feeling hot or cold, do you scream, does your heart go fast?
- What do you do to cope with this problem?
- Do you drink alcoholic drinks?
- Do you smoke?
- Do you have any physical illnesses for e,g asthma, sleep apnoea disorder?
- Do you have mental health related problems?