Which test is better for diagnosing HIV - ELISA or PCR?
Answered by: Dr Bir Singh
| Faculty Incharge,
Sex and Marriage Counselling Clinic
Co-ordinator, AIDS Education & Training Cell,
Professor of Community Medicine
AIIMS, New Delhi- 110029
Q: I am a 23 years old male. I have a few questions about HIV infection and its diagnosis. Please answer the same and clarify my doubts:
- Which test is better for diagnosing HIV - ELISA or PCR?
- What can be the maximum time for an individual to show HIV antibodies in ELISA Test?
- What can be the longest window period?
- I did ELISA test after 6 months, are there any chances of the test being false negative?
- PCR is a better test
- The maximum time for an individual to show HIV antibodies in ELISA Test can be 12-14 weeks.
- The longest window period can be 03-04 months.
- No. The chance so the test being falsely negative are almost nil.