Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » What are risks involved in vertical and horizontal incision C-section?

What are risks involved in vertical and horizontal incision C-section?

Q: I had vertical incision C-section and now I am 34 weeks pregnant and my gynaecologist suggested a second C-section. She told me that I should undergo a horizontal incision C-section this time. Could you please tell me the complications involved in both types of C-section?

A:I guess you mean a vertical incision on the skin of your abdomen? If yes, the repeat C-section had better be again alongside the previous scar. The previous scar will be excised while closing / suturing the skin; hence you will have only 1 scar. It is possible to do a "horizontal" C-section this time but that will give two scars, which will be unsightly. The advantages of a "vertical" incision is a very fast access into the abdomen (e.g. in cases of bleeding due to placenta previa, severe fetal distress), is less bloody than a horizontal scar, and gives better access to the uterus (as is required in cases of transverse lie, obstructed labour). Disadvantage is that it is slightly more painful in the post-operative period and is more likely to get weakened, resulting in incisional hernia. The additional advantage of a "horizontal" C-section is that it is cosmetically better; however, it is more bloody, takes longer and access to the abdomen is limited compared to the vertical incision. It is obvious that the doctor has to be very experienced in performing a C-section through a horizontal incision. However, keeping in mind the benefits of one incision over the other even an experienced doctor may use his/her wise counsel to select a vertical incision in certain cases.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.