Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Why am I having pain in my lower abdomen during pregnancy?

Why am I having pain in my lower abdomen during pregnancy?

Q: I am a 28 years old woman into my seventeenth week of pregnancy. I am pregnant for my third child. I am having backache and lower abdomen pain. I went to the doctor who told me that I am having contractions and should take bed rest along Duphaston (10 mg) thrice a day. Am I on right treatment during pregnancy?

A:Yes can take along with rest and see if pain and contractions stop. You will also need to check for any evidence of infection in the vagina or urinary tract, and have treatment accordingly. Once the pain stops the medication can be stopped. Actually currently there are better medications than Duphaston like micronized progesterone preparations that can even be given intravaginally - and you may consider use of those. Here the dose is lower. In case it does not work, then you can use more medications.