Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Does Betacard lead to low pulse rate?

Does Betacard lead to low pulse rate?

Q: I am of 53 years old. I take Betacard 50 daily for high blood pressure (BP). My BP is 145/95. My pulse rate is 55. The doctor says that the low pulse rate is due to Betacard, but he is continuing this medicine. Should I continue Betacard or consult another doctor for a change of medicine?

A:Betacard is the brand name of a medicine called atenolol. It causes slowing of the heart rate. There is another, more important reason for not using it. There is ample evidence to suggest that Betacard (a) it performs less well than other, newer agents and (b) it carries an unacceptable risk of provoking diabetes even when used in normal dose. As per globally accepted evidence-based guidelines, in patients below 55 years of age, the first line therapy should be enalapril (sold under the brand name of BQL, Enam). Its normal dose is 5mg once daily but if necessary it can be increased to up to 10 mg twice daily. Alternatively, losartan (sold under the brand name of Losacar) 25 mg daily can be used. If necessary the dose can be increased to 50 mg daily.

Meghalaya Gets Its First AMRIT Pharmacy

A first of its kind in Meghalaya, the Affordable Medicines and Retail Implants for Treatment (AMRIT) Pharmacy was inaugrated on Thursday by the State Health Minister Roshan Warjri, at a Civil Hospital in Shillong.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.