Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Can I use copper T as contraceptive after being operated twice?

Can I use copper T as contraceptive after being operated twice?

Q: I am a 34 years old woman having 2 children of age 9 and 3 years; both by caesarean delivery. Now I want to use copper T as a contraceptive. I have used it earlier after the birth of my first child and it suited me well. But now the doctor is saying that it is not possible because I had 2 operations and copper T can be harmful to my stitches. Can I use copper T?

A:It can be used, but has more risk of infections and problems due to previous surgeries. It is safer and as effective to use Inj DMPA Three monthly; or oral contraceptive pills after the baby is 6 months old. Barrier methods like the condom along with spermicide is another good option, but needs male cooperation.