Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Can antidepressants affect blood sugar levels?

Can antidepressants affect blood sugar levels?

Q: I am a 21 years old male suffering from obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) for the last 10 years. I also have had social phobia and becomes very nervous and even avoid meeting people or going out. I believe this might be social anxiety disorder. There is family history of depression also. I have taken Fludac for about a week. Earlier, I used to be overweight and had developed insulin resistance. I have read somewhere that antidepressants increase blood sugar level. Please advise.

A:We all have our strengths and weaknesses. What makes us strong is our ability to accept our problems and trying to find a solution to them.

You have mentioned features of anxiety spectrum disorders including social phobia and OCD, since the last 10 years. There is also a family history of depression. You have taken (serotonin specific re-uptake inhibitor) SSRI (Fluoxetine) for just about a week. Please note that SSRI antidepressants are associated with lowering of blood sugar levels in some patients. However SSRIs are quite commonly prescribed for OCD and social phobias in patients with diabetes. It is recommended that on SSRIs, the blood sugar levels should be monitored in the population with diabetes / impaired glucose control.

Please note that antidepressant medications take about 2 weeks to begin their antidepressant effect and the peak response is usually observed between 4-6 weeks of initiating therapy. Since you stopped the medication within one week of starting it, the response was hardly visible. Also note that SSRI treatment during the initial phase may be associated with some anxiety symptoms or restlessness and it is preferable to initiate these under the cover of low dose anti-anxiety agents under a psychiatrist's supervision. Alongside, relaxation sessions, positive affirmations, cognitive behaviour therapy, graded exposure and exercises can also enhance self confidence. I suggest endocrinology and psychiatric assessment and regular reviews.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.