Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Can a diabetic eat mangoes?

Can a diabetic eat mangoes?

Q: I am 69 years old and have developed diabetes recently. I am taking glycinorm M40 in the morning; and metformin 500 mg in the night. My sugar levels are very much under control. I walk daily for 15 minutes and take the right foods. I am surprised that even after taking one or two mangoes, my sugar levels are less than normal the next day. My doctor has banned mangoes for me. Is it harmful if I take one or two mangoes?

A:You seem to be doing quite well, overall. After a mango your sugar will probably rise for some time, so if you check post meal values they will be high. By the next morning they will be down again. If you check your post meal (2 hours) values and if they are below 160 despite the mango slice, it is OK. You can then have an occasional mango slice only.