Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Is my diabetes due to insulin deficiency or insulin resistance?

Is my diabetes due to insulin deficiency or insulin resistance?

Q: I am a 39 years old man having type - II diabetes. How can I determine the cause of diabetes? Is it due to less production of insulin or insulin resistance? The treatment should be dependent upon the cause i.e. injecting insulin or taking medicines that makes body respond to insulin. I have been detected with diabetes recently and have been prescribed insulin injections. I am not sure that this is correct treatment since I am not aware of the cause. I have a family history of diabetes.

A:You have type-2 diabetes, which is due to insulin resistance and relative insulin deficiency. You can confirm it by getting blood sugar, insulin and C-peptide 2 hours after meals tested. You will find raised levels of insulin and C-Peptide.

Your doctor has done the best thing by advising you insulin in beginning, which may be for a short time.