Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Am I taking the right medications for treating high BP?

Am I taking the right medications for treating high BP?

Q: I am a 42 years old man having hypertension and was taking Telma 40, Nebicard 5 and Colsprin 100 for the last 2 years. Then I developed erectile dysfunction and hence stopped Nebicard 5 for the last month. Recently, I consulted the doctor and he suggested using Telma AM and Ecosprin 150; with these medications my blood pressure was 140-155/90-105 mm Hg. He has now prescribed Natrilix SR along with Telma-AM and Ecosprin-150. Is the treatment correct?

A:Nebicard contains nebivolol which is known to cause not only ED but also can precipitate diabetes; hence it is not a first line drug in young patients of high blood pressure. Telma contains telmisartan. Telma-AM telmisartan and amlodpine. There was a time when individual doctors based on their own perception used to prescribe medicines for high blood pressure. Thus if a patient went to three different doctors, he or she may get three different prescriptions. In the past 10 years or so, based on worldwide data (results based on clinical trials on thousands of patients) international guidelines on the treatment of high blood pressure have been issued. In sexually active male patients younger than 55, first choice initial therapy should be enalapril (sold as Enam) 5-10 mg 1-2 times daily. In some patients, enalapril may give rise to cough. In such cases losartan (sold as Losacar) 50mg once daily or telmisartn (sold as Telma) can be used. Earlier you were on two drugs: telmisartan (Telma) and nebivolol (Nebicard). Now you have been prescribed three drugs: Indapamide (Natrilix SR) and Telma-AM (telmisartan + amlodipine). I should think that an attempt should be made to see if two drugs i.e. Natrilix SR and Telma-40 do not control the blood pressure before adding third drug. Of course one can also try enalapril (Enam) with Natrilix SR. The objective is to use as few drugs as possible at such a young age.

Swine Flu Explosion: 42 New Cases Reported In Mohali, Tips To Prevent It

Mohali district reportedly sees increased number of cases of swine flu this year. So far, there have been 42 positive cases and five deaths of this deadly disease. Here's a list of tips to prevent it.

Angry With The Expensive Treatment, Patient Stabs The Doctor!

When the doctor came in to examine him on Monday evening, the patient attacked the doctor in a fit of rage. It is being stated that the patient took this step because he was upset with the expensive treatment.

65 Year Old Zirakpur Man Dies Of Swine Flu

A 65-year-old man, called Kirti Kumar died due to swine flu in Zirakpur, on Monday. This is the third swine-flu death in the Derabassi Subdivision within a period of one month.

Kerala AIDS Society Grants 'Clean Chit' To Regional Cancer Centre

According to a report by the Kerala State AIDS Control Society, the blood given to a nine year-old girl during transfusion at Regional Cancer Centre (RCC) in Thiruvananthapuram was tested before the process, and HIV was not detected, but the same was detected at a later stage.