Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Will typhoid have any adverse effects on my pregnancy?

Will typhoid have any adverse effects on my pregnancy?

Q: Will typhoid affect the baby's growth if occurs in the fourth month of pregnancy? Will it lead to any future deformity or any side effects? What precautions have to be taken for this? I am 24 years old and I weigh 72 kg. I am presently on medicines (calcium, iron and folic acid) for pregnancy. Please advise.

A:Generally, typhoid during pregnancy is not known to have a long term effect on the fetus / baby if the typhoid infection has been adequately managed with antibiotics. There was no mention in this query if this lady was prescribed with antibiotics and how long for. Was the diagnosis of typhoid based on high degree of clinical suspicion or has the diagnosis been confirmed with some microbiology laboratory result. Assuming that the diagnosis is typhoid, and if it has been adequately managed with antibiotics, and the lady has recovered from the infection and feels constitutionally well, then she need not worry about any effects of this infection on the fetus / baby. The crucial point in this query is whether the infection during the 4th month of pregnancy was typhoid or not. I would advise this lady to be seen by an experienced Obstetrician who would oversee her pregnancy and periodically review her health and growth of the fetus. The obstetrician could also give an insight into this episode of infection. She also needs to see an experienced Physician who could assess her in view of her past infection. I guess blood tests might have been done to screen for TORCH infections etc.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.