Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Will my child be able to cope with studies?

Will my child be able to cope with studies?

Q: I am a mother of an 11 years old girl. From child hood she’s been having problems at school regarding her studies. Now that she is in the 6th standard, she has failed in 5 subjects in her 1st term exams. Her school teacher has advised me to take her for counselling. What effect will this have on the child? Will she be able to cope with the CBSE standard of education? What are the rules of these institutions? Will they detain her this academic year?

A:If your child has found it difficult to cope with her studies, it would be better if she were in a less demanding system. CBSE is by far too heavy in the curricular load, for most children. It might be a good idea to take her teacher's advice and see a counsellor. This will help you and the child to have realistic expectations. There will be no adverse effect on the child. A counsellor will test the child and let you know how to proceed with her education. I have no idea about the school she attends, so I cannot answer your question. If they detain her, you might continue her in the same school for the next year. It will give her time to catch up with subjects that were difficult earlier. If she has interest and strengths in music, art or dance, you might give her some special opportunity to pick up skills. It is also possible for her to shift to the Open School system while she attends a State Board school and take a few exams at a time in subjects of her choice. I know of many children who have been helped by this alternative system. All the best.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com