Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » When should I take the tetanus injection during pregnancy?

When should I take the tetanus injection during pregnancy?

Q: My 27 years old wife has taken the first tetanus injection at the 3.5 months of pregnancy. Is it fine if she takes her second tetanus injection after 5.5 months?

A:The second injection is administered 4 weeks after the first injection.

If your wife has not received the full primary series of tetanus vaccine immunization [i.e. of 3 doses in infancy, 4th at 4-7 years and 5th around 7-12 years of age), or is uncertain, then she needs to receive 3 doses- starting at first visit (anytime in pregnancy)], 2nd injection is given 4 weeks after 1st and 3rd injection 6 months after 2nd injection. The 4th and 5th injections are administered at 1 yearly interval, thereafter (after pregnancy), to complete the course. However, if she has received the full primary vaccination, but has not received the booster within last 10 years, she needs to take 2 injections (at first visit, and second 4 weeks later). If she has received the booster within last 10 years, then she needs to take only one injection.

These days, instead of plain tetanus toxoid, WHO is recommending Td (i.e. tetanus toxoid with low-dose diphtheria vaccine) during pregnancy. WHO also recommends, that if the woman has received the booster injection within previous 2 years, she can take TdaP (tetanus toxoid, low-dose diptheria vaccine and vaccine against acellular pertussis) soon after delivery, rather than Td before delivery.

However, Government of India recommends tetanus toxoid (TT) during pregnancy, and I follow the GOI recommendations.

Swine Flu Explosion: 42 New Cases Reported In Mohali, Tips To Prevent It

Mohali district reportedly sees increased number of cases of swine flu this year. So far, there have been 42 positive cases and five deaths of this deadly disease. Here's a list of tips to prevent it.

Angry With The Expensive Treatment, Patient Stabs The Doctor!

When the doctor came in to examine him on Monday evening, the patient attacked the doctor in a fit of rage. It is being stated that the patient took this step because he was upset with the expensive treatment.

65 Year Old Zirakpur Man Dies Of Swine Flu

A 65-year-old man, called Kirti Kumar died due to swine flu in Zirakpur, on Monday. This is the third swine-flu death in the Derabassi Subdivision within a period of one month.

Kerala AIDS Society Grants 'Clean Chit' To Regional Cancer Centre

According to a report by the Kerala State AIDS Control Society, the blood given to a nine year-old girl during transfusion at Regional Cancer Centre (RCC) in Thiruvananthapuram was tested before the process, and HIV was not detected, but the same was detected at a later stage.