Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » What is the alternative for Zyloric?

What is the alternative for Zyloric?

Q: I am a 47 years old man suffering from gout pain and my uric acid is 6.8 at present. I am taking Diclonac SR and Aciloc 150; but these drugs give me relief for short duration. Zyloric does not suite me as it burns my skin. Also, please note that I am sensitive to Tetracycline and Sulpha. Please provide me an alternate medicine for the same. What is the correct treatment for my problem?

A:Diclonac SR is merely a pain-killer and can cause hyperacidity and stomach problems. Therefore, you may have to take Aciloc (ranitidine) to reduce acidity. Pain-killer will only give temporary relief since it does not have any effect on the uric acid. Zyloric (allopurinol) reduces uric acid levels. One of the side effects of Zyloric is skin reactions and hence you can not take this medicine. You could try probenecid (sold under the trade name of Bencid) - half tablet 2 times daily for one week, then 1 tablet twice daily. It increases the excretion of uric acid from the blood and thus helps reduce uric acid levels.


................... Advertisement ...................




Using 0 of 1024 Possible characters
Choose Topic

Latest stories

World Pharmacists Day 2017: A Brief History of Pharmacy And Pharmacists In India

Mon, 25 Sep 2017 20:00:16 IST
September 25th is observed as the World Pharmacists Day every year. Here's a brief history of how the profession of pharmacy and pharmacists came into being in India.

Once World’s Heaviest Woman, Eman Ahmed Dies In Abu Dhabi

Mon, 25 Sep 2017 18:30:17 IST
Eman Ahmed Abd El Aty, once known as the world's heaviest woman, died at the Burjee Hospital in Abu Dhabi on Monday. She hailed from Egypt and weighed approximately 500 kg.

Sexual Harassment By Coworkers Causes More Severe Depression

Mon, 25 Sep 2017 17:30:18 IST
Employees who are sexually harassed by work colleagues may develop more severe symptoms of depression than those who experience harassment by clients or customers, a study has found.

Smartphone Apps To Cure Depression?

Mon, 25 Sep 2017 16:30:18 IST
From connecting us to the world, giving us important information from all the corners to entertaining us, smartphones today pretty much sort our lives out. But what if we told you that your handy little device can also help treat serious mental problems as such depression?

Multi-Gene Test May Better Predict Who Will Suffer From Dementia

Mon, 25 Sep 2017 15:30:38 IST
A new test that combines the effects of over two dozen gene mutations - which individually lead to only a small increased risk of Alzheimer's disease - can better predict who will suffer from dementia or cognitive decline, scientists say.