Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Should my husband go in for phacosurgery for cataract?

Should my husband go in for phacosurgery for cataract?

Q: My husband has been diagnosed with cataract in his left eye developing from centre to outside. He is 44 years old. The doctors say that in young age it develops like this only. He has been advised phacosurgery for the replacement of the lens. Is surgery the only answer to his problem? Secondly, which lens should he go for - multifocal or monofocal? Please give details and the cost of both the lenses. He feels uncomfortable while driving in the night when lights from the vehicles flash in his eyes. Will there be any complications in future?

A:This type of central cataract affects vision mostly, and the affects are early. You should go ahead with phacosurgery, which will improve vision in one day. There is no medical or other option for this condition. This is a small (keyhole) incision surgery and therefore, only folding implant (acrylic) will be suitable. Multifocal implants don't give very satisfactory vision. The cost of operation as well as implant will vary depending on where the operation is done and the surgeon who is doing it. It would be OK to have this operation at young age. Conventional surgery has more complications at young age.


--------------------------------Advertisement---------------------------------- -
Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com