Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Pregnancy - blood group

Pregnancy - blood group

Q: My blood group is A positive while my wife's blood group is B negative. Will this difference in blood groups affect our baby?

A:The difference in Rh group between you and your wife would not normally cause any problems in the first pregnancy (provided she has not had any (abortion/miscarriage). It would also depend on whether the baby turns out to be Rh negative or not (baby can be Rh negative even if either or both parents are Rh positive). What is important is that she is under good medical care during her pregnancy including required blood tests. It is also important that after delivery, your wife gets injections of anti D (if baby turns out to be Rh positive) to prevent problems related to her Rh negative group, in subsequent pregnancy.