Pain in chest

Q: I feel pain in my chest while walking. This starts about 5-10 minutes after I start walking and continues till I rest and then disappears slowly. I do not have this problem while climbing stairs (3 or 4 floors) or even doing aerobic exercises for 30 to 40 minutes. Please suggest.

A:Even though you do not experience pain while climbing stairs or doing aerobic exercises, it is imperative that angina as a cause of the chest pain be first excluded. It is unclear why certain activities alone give rise to angina but the fact that it does happen is well established. I would therefore suggest that you see your physician so that a stress test can be arranged as an initial step. Further investigation and treatment will depend on the outcome of this test.