Is there any cure for anxiety without medicine?
Q: I am a 29 years old having hyper acidity and anxiety. The doctor told me that my acidity problem will be resolved if I make my mind that I am fine. Acidity occurs sometimes when I am not able to eat my food due to heaviness even though I have no gas problem. The doctor gave me tablets for sleeping but now I have decided not to take any medicine because it is affecting my health. Is there any cure for anxiety without medicine? If I just take vitamin tablets and proper diet, will I be fine?
A:I have noted your symptoms. You have not mentioned whether you are male or female. It is true that lot of abdominal symptoms are aggravated by anxiety or depression. However, it is important to have a proper check up to exclude any organic disease such as GE reflux, gastritis or ulcer. This may need getting an endoscopy. If your check up is ok, then you need to have symptomatic treatment including life-style changes. These include:-
- Taking acid-suppressants for symptomatic relief.
- Dietary changes - Avoid spicy & oily food, take small frequent food.
- Avoid coke, alcohol & smoking.
- De-stress yourself. Join some Yoga class, Gym or sports.
- Mild anti anxiety or anti depressants drugs may be taken under the supervision of a doctor.