Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Why is my wife having abdominal pain, nausea and dyspepsia?

Why is my wife having abdominal pain, nausea and dyspepsia?

Q: My 65 years old wife had chikungunya eight months back. Now, she is complaining of pain in abdomen, nausea, loss of appetite and dyspepsia. She took Aciloc RD, Novamox (500 mg) and Flagyl (400 mg). She goes regularly for stool evaluation. What could be the reason behind abdominal pain, nausea and dyspepsia?

A:Your wife may have hyperacidity/reflux or maybe colitis. In case symptoms are persistent or associated with any black/red colored stools, weight loss or difficulty in swallowing, she should be investigated including haemogram, stool routine and occult blood x 3 samples, sgot, alkaline phosphatase, USG abdomen. Meanwhile complete the current course of medication for 5-7 days and then stop.A proton pump inhibitor like pantoprazole or rabeprazole maybe more effective in controlling dyspepsia. The only link with chikungunya after so many months could be if your wife is on painkillers.Avoid self medication and please do consult a doctor if needed.