Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Is prolonged intake of Amlopress harmful?

Is prolonged intake of Amlopress harmful?

Q: I am 50 years old male. My BP is around 136/90. I have been taking half a tablet of Amlopress-AT for the past 3 years. Does it have any harmful effects? When should I stop taking it?

A:You have not given the BP reading when medication was started three years ago. I presume the current reading of 136/90 is with medication. Amlopres-AT is a combination product with two medicines: amlodipine and atenolol. As per globally accepted guidelines on the treatment of high blood pressure in patients younger than 55, particularly sexually active males, the first choice initial therapy should be enalapril (sold under various brand names such as BQL) 5-10mg 1-2 times daily. If two drugs are required, then either amlodipine (sold as Amlodac) 5mg daily or a diuretic such as metolazone (sold as Metoz) 2.5mg daily in the morning should be added. Atenolol is not recommended because it performs less well than other drugs, and the increasing evidence that they carry an unacceptable risk of provoking diabetes, apart from causing erectile dysfunction (impotence) in males.

Woman Gives Birth To 'Miracle Twins' Naturally, Discharges Self Hours Later

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:30:15 IST
Apparently she had no idea that she was giving birth to twins and then the natural delivery of the kids made the doctors describe it as "miraculous". The kids are joined at the abdomen and share an umbilical cord. Doctors say that they "desperately need surgery".

Shocking Rise In Premature Baby Deaths, Reveals Study

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 12:33:03 IST
There has been a tremendous rise in the number of neonatal deaths in connection with premature births and babies with low-birthweight over the period of past 15 years even though the country has witnessed decline in early deaths from infections, according to health officials.

Hyderabad: Senior Doctor Attacked At Gandhi Hospital, 250 Juniors Boycott Duties

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:30:47 IST
Doctors tried to save him but he succumbed to the attack, post which, his family attacked the doctors saying that they did not pay much attention to the patient.

Woman Revived After 30 Minutes Of Death!

Thu, 21 Sep 2017 10:30:16 IST
She suffered a cardiac arrest just before the surgery began and it was no less than a miracle when the doctors were able to revive her 30 minutes after she suffered a cardiac arrest.