Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » Is it safe to take iron supplement in first trimester?

Is it safe to take iron supplement in first trimester?

Q: I want to know whether iron supplements can be taken during first trimester of pregnancy? I had two miscarriages before. Can almonds be added in the diet during pregnancy and how many can I eat?

A:Iron supplements are started only after 14 weeks of pregnancy. Before that, the normal nausea due to pregnancy may worsen, if you take these tablets. Rather, eat iron rich foods (if possible) during 1st trimester: e.g. apples, bananas (ripe and unripe - used for vegetable preparations), jaggery, brinjal, and green leafy vegetables. You may take almonds, if you want to - upto 4 per day are OK. There are no clear cut recommendations regarding their amount. Eating too many dry fruits can also lead to constipation, except for raisins and seedless dates (which are, in fact good to prevent constipation).