Home » Frequently asked Questions on Health » How can endometriotic cyst be treated?

How can endometriotic cyst be treated?

Q: I am a 29 years old female who underwent laparoscopy for endometriotic cyst almost two years back. After one year, I felt severe pain on my lower right abdomen and the back. Then, I was asked to undergo treatment i.e. Gynazol (200 mg) once a day for four months. My doctor told me that the cyst, which had developed on the right side had reduced and I stopped the medicine. After two months, the problem recurred. She advised me to take Lupride depot injection with Danazol (200 mg). Please advise.

A:Endometriotic cyst usually is associated with deep infiltrating endometriosis, which can give problems such as pain during sexual intercourse, pain during opening bowels, constant low backache and pain during periods. If you have these symptoms it does suggest that you have severe endometriosis.

The best way to deal with endometriosis is excising it (removing it). This can be done effectively by laparoscope but the surgeon needs expertise in doing it. Not all gynaecologists are trained to do these operations. Hormonal preparations which you are currently taking will help in controlling symptoms to some extent but are not a definitive cure. They also can give you quite unpleasant side-effects such as dry vagina, hot flushes, pain in breasts, etc. In the long-term they may give osteoporosis (which may make bones weak). I therefore advise you to undergo surgery (with gynaecologist experienced in operating on deep infiltrating endometriosis) and not to take medication as a long term solution.


................... Advertisement ...................




Using 0 of 1024 Possible characters
Choose Topic

Latest stories

World Pharmacists Day 2017: A Brief History of Pharmacy And Pharmacists In India

Mon, 25 Sep 2017 20:00:16 IST
September 25th is observed as the World Pharmacists Day every year. Here's a brief history of how the profession of pharmacy and pharmacists came into being in India.

Once World’s Heaviest Woman, Eman Ahmed Dies In Abu Dhabi

Mon, 25 Sep 2017 18:30:17 IST
Eman Ahmed Abd El Aty, once known as the world's heaviest woman, died at the Burjee Hospital in Abu Dhabi on Monday. She hailed from Egypt and weighed approximately 500 kg.

Sexual Harassment By Coworkers Causes More Severe Depression

Mon, 25 Sep 2017 17:30:18 IST
Employees who are sexually harassed by work colleagues may develop more severe symptoms of depression than those who experience harassment by clients or customers, a study has found.

Smartphone Apps To Cure Depression?

Mon, 25 Sep 2017 16:30:18 IST
From connecting us to the world, giving us important information from all the corners to entertaining us, smartphones today pretty much sort our lives out. But what if we told you that your handy little device can also help treat serious mental problems as such depression?

Multi-Gene Test May Better Predict Who Will Suffer From Dementia

Mon, 25 Sep 2017 15:30:38 IST
A new test that combines the effects of over two dozen gene mutations - which individually lead to only a small increased risk of Alzheimer's disease - can better predict who will suffer from dementia or cognitive decline, scientists say.